Sunday, May 3, 2009

The week that was

I went to a Lutheran Church with my father and grandmother this afternoon for a concert of Bach's Mass in b-minor. There was a lecture in the beginning given by Prof. Wolf who teaches at Harvard and speaks with a German accent. Even though the church wasn't even 60 years old, it still had that church feeling with the color-stained windows depicting biblical scenes and the massive organs. Surprisingly, there wasn't a massive cross with a carved dead Jesus on it. Maybe because it was Lutheran. But it was still one of those places that you don't feel comfortable till you hear two people with Jewish accents talk about Tanakh behind you. Yup, the cantor of a local synagogue and his family were there as well. The only thing that would have topped it was if the choir sang "Kadosh, kadosh, kadosh" instead of "Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus".

The concert was all my father and grandmother hyped it to be. I am familiar with Bach but this "Mass" was very good, with 4 soloists, a full choir, and a small orchestra. Sure, I closed my eyes a few times, and it took them forever to go through just four words, but I was awake when it counted.

On another matter, I volunteered at a local community playground construction. You can read the Jewish Times article about it here. It's amazing what a shovel and some dirt can do to the soul sometimes.

1 comment:

Nobody said...

I used to go to a Lutheran church every week as a teenager, since my Boy Scout troop had meetings there (as an adult, I decided never to enter a church). The Lutherans are very chilled out about their idolatry and don't directly worship the image of a man. Their crosses tended to be almost new agey and had what appeared to be shrouds on them, signifying the missing man-god. I remember a few passing comments from them and some Episcopalians how you can always identify a Catholic church by the tacky art. The Lutherans that I knew definitely considered their form of worship to be the height of civilization and civility.